Sunday 27 February 2011

Variations on a Theme

So much for the handkerchief edgings... I can't leave this one alone!

You can click on photos to enlarge

The two bottom squares have a different center to the two top squares.  I was also playing with the Josephine knots as I don't like the way they "flop about".  I was trying to find a way to keep them neatly in the center of where they sit but I've not solved the problem yet.  On the fourth square (the one on the bottom right which is actually not joined to the big square), I attached the JK side to side instead to see what that would look like but I don't like it as much.

You can click on photos to enlarge

And a strange thing:  when I copy my photos onto Blogger, the colours get muted somewhat - this pink is much brighter in real life and on the actual photo I took. 

I'm going to adjust the outer corners of the repeats so that all sides touch when they join in the middle which will make a prettier rosette when the four squares meet in the middle.

What do you think?  Which center do you prefer?

Best wishes,

5 comments:

  1. I prefer the top center, because it looks rounder. I like the idea of a circle within a square. I love the way you've been tweaking this motif!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Diane - yes, I think I like the round center too... it's just that the rings were getting a bit squashed with that design, so I tried adding a tiny chain between each ring which opened it out but also made the center more square. It's a work in progress, I've not got to the final version quite yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Frivole! I love the one with the chain running around the center, but love the way the other one looks too! I think you have 2 new designs here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like both -- but what I REALLY do like is the Josephine knot joined to the side chain! I like that way that looks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. Maybe, as Carolivy said, I'll write up the pattern to include both centers. Marty, glad you like it, I was just trying something different, don't think I'll use it in this pattern but maybe in another!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!