Tuesday 4 November 2014

38 Down, 18 To Go!

I am pleased to have finally got around to picking this up again.  It was a shame to have done all that work on it and then to leave it abandoned for so long…

If I'm honest, it's not my favourite design which probably explains why I didn't rush to complete it.  There are LOTS of chains and tiny rings which means that it has a tendency to "misbehave".  I've tried to press it as I went to keep it in shape but I can see it will be a nightmare to wash!

Also, if it was me, I would have made the butterfly motif with just two little rings at the top rather than three.  I know it's a stylised butterfly but it would have looked more "butterflyish" with either two small rings (for the tip of antennae) or one small ring with long picots (for a head with antennae).  Don't you think?

Still, I can finally see the end in sight of this really long-term project (I can't find the original post at the moment but I think I started this - I'm embarrassed to say! - two years ago?)  I now have 38 of the last round butterflies completed and 18 more to go.


Best wishes,
Frivole

21 comments:

  1. It looks so amazing that it's a pity it's not a pleasurable tat. Good for you for going back to it, I do hope you get to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J'imagine très bien comme ça doit être assez fastidieux de le mettre en forme mais je le trouve magnifique ! Courage, la fin est proche! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it! You can do it! (Of course you can.). Those last 18 will fly by and you will have another stunning piece in your home. I agree about the three rings though, I wonder what the designer was thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Piekna i jakie perfekcyjne slupki .

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so elegant and awesome!!! You have done a fabulous job!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheer up! It is so beautiful, you must finish it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not that down about it, perhaps my post sounded too negative? I was just giving my feedback on the design really. :-)

      Delete
  7. It is the designer in you coming out, wanting 2 rings for the butterfly. I understand, it would be more like the original. I wonder if the 3rd ring isn't for stability?
    Regardless, you are doing a wonderful job. I love the color you've chosen and your work is beautiful - as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really admire your persistence in continuing to come back to this piece. It may be tedious to tat, but you will be so proud when you are done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't see the butterfly, but this is beautiful to look at it is very elegant. I do know the feeling when your heart is not into it is hard to finish anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful piece of tatting, I am looking forward to seeing it when you have finished it.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  11. I kinda like the three rings! Can't wait to see the finished d....!

    What thread did you use? I've looked at past posts and can't finf the size.,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Doilies, and especially large ones, have a strange attraction to people. Also to people who dress plainly, who live with minimalistic furniture, and proclaim that lace is old fahioned. But, it is LACE, and that is magic,...
    I love this oily!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are nearly there! The home stretch can be the most frustrating, at least for me because that's when I am in a hurry to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing work! I agree on the butterflies, 2 rings or the third one in the position for the head.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the tiny connected rings in the body of the doily. I know that must be a great big old pain but the effect is quite stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace, I agree with you, the tiny rings, though particularly time-consuming to make are an interesting feature of this doily.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!