Thursday 15 March 2018

Little Square - Big Meaning

I have seen several tatters working on the little square for the Brussels Monument and as this is in support of women's rights around the world, it's a good cause which I wish to support.  The project will also happen during the World Lace Congress in August so it's also good to help promote tatting.  I'm a bit late joining the party but there are still two weeks left to send the squares so I plan on making several and sending them along.

Cathy provides a pattern for the square but she also says you can use your own if you wish as long as it measures 3cm x 3cm.  I wondered if my Quatrain would work and yes, if I omit the trefoils on the corner, it has the right dimensions.

The one in the right hand corner is Cathy's pattern.


However, I have now realised, after tatting a few, that although the size is right, the shape is not!  Because if you try to attach them at the corner, the curve means that they have to be one on top of the other to fit.
See what I mean?

Of course I could just keep using Cathy's pattern but I'm stubborn.  I want to make mine fit.  So I will try to keep the spirit of it but change the shape so that it fits properly at the corners and at the size required.

On the other hand, I'm wondering if I tat tightly though because I have measured my square made to Cathy's instructions and it turns out a bit too small!



Right, off to play with my design and see what I can come up with.  Anyone else making some of these squares?

Best wishes,
Frivole

8 comments:

  1. I love your idea! I managed to get only 6 mailed in, but I wanted to be sure I could be a part of this great project. It will be so fun to see the display - so many countries are represented already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve sent my squares in. The quatrain square is pretty, but I can see it’s not square enough for joining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already sent in 24 squares in two different patterns, which I blogged in January, I saw another lovely little pattern on her Facebook page and I tried that so far I have four done and I M hoping to get 6 done and send them in to her. It's amazing just how many countries have sent squares to her, there's a lot more information on her Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you are making something which is quintessential Frivole for this! I agree, it dosn't work as is but I’m confident you will amend your patternAND yet it it still reflect your design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, your design is quite lovely! I have confidence in your persistence to make your pattern fit into the 3cm requirement.
    I was able to tat 6 of her pattern with Yarnplayers variegated pink. After the second square, I finally learned I could do better by starting with the 1st ring, rather than the chain.
    Good luck and I cannot wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your contribution, Frivole and your enthousiasm! All together, we are going to make history this year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's always appreciated!